(Senior) Staff Accountant
The mission of Centessa Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: CNTA) is to deliver consequential new medicines to patients. The Centessa family includes ten wholly owned, highly specialized companies, with drug discovery and development programs in diverse therapeutic areas. The company’s organizational structure and approach combine the agility and sense of urgency typical of start-up companies with the scale and diversification typical of larger R&D organizations.
We are seeking (Senior) Staff Accountants across the accounting organization. The (Senior) Staff Accountant will be primarily responsible for a wide variety of activities including establishing accounting policies, reconciling balance sheet accounts, preparing journal entries, assisting with monthly and quarterly close and process improvement initiatives, with focus on cash, fixed assets, accounts payable and related accruals, R&D accounting matters, intercompany, share-based compensation, equity and tax accounting. The position requires that the candidate be a detailed-oriented professional with a strong willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment and collaborate with clinical operations professionals across the Centessa companies.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations and journal entries, including those related to the Company’s pre-clinical activities and clinical trial prepaids and accruals on a US GAAP basis.
- Support balance sheet and income statement analysis and the accounting for other key GL accounts that include: cash, prepaid expenses and other assets, R&D tax credits, fixed assets, accounts payable, deferred tax asset/liabilities and other accruals.
- Implement and maintain complex Excel models to track R&D accruals and identify and implement ongoing improvement processes to support the company’s accounting and reporting related to clinical trial and manufacturing expenses using % of completion and unit accounting, including preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Coordinate and/or lead periodic meetings with external CRO/CMO’s and internal clinical and manufacturing team members to obtain validation of % of completion and units completed.
- Review pre-clinical, clinical trial and manufacturing contracts for accounting implications and prepare contract summaries for relevant accounting considerations.
- Develop and foster strong working relationship with internal or external R&D project managers.
- Develop reports for financial statement analysis of R&D accruals, prepaids, and expenses and in support of disclosures required in SEC filings, including management discussion & analysis.
- Manage day-to-day vendor invoice workflow for accounts payable activities ensuring authorization/approvals within the company’s corporate grants of authority and SOX404/internal controls.
- Prepare periodic vendor analysis of spend to support accrual estimation/forecasting as well as capital expenditures.
- Adhere to internal control procedures, aid in updating and improving documentation related to the design and implementation of SOX and internal controls over financial reporting and assist with the annual walkthroughs of key controls.
- Participate in financial system implementations and enhancements and discern implications to key controls over financial reporting.
- Perform ad hoc reporting and analysis as required to support business decision making.
- Perform additional accounting and reporting duties as requested by Finance/Accounting management, including review of general ledger account reconciliations and closing journal entries.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum of 4+ years of Accounting experience required.
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP and SOX required.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Combination of public accounting and biotechnology/pharma industry experience and accounting for R&D activities highly preferred.
- Experience reviewing contracts for clinical-related services and strong understanding of accounting guidance for clinical accounting matters
- Excellent Excel skills required.
- Experience with ERP systems like SAP/Oracle/NetSuite/JD Edwards experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to provide high quality work efficiently.
- Ability to gather, organize, analyze, and report large volumes of financial data with speed and accuracy.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, professional relationship-building skills.
- Ability to adapt and work in a quickly changing environment, manage competing demands.
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Centessa Pharmaceuticals believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Centessa Pharmaceuticals will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.